Magento provides a pre-built frontend framework called the LUMA stack or PWA Studio. However, this stack is not the most user-friendly to work with, as it has slow performance, complicated navigation, and has not received any updates since the launch of Magento 2. Nowadays, there are more efficient and effective alternatives to the LUMA stack available for creating profitable stores quickly.
In this piece, we will delve into the structure and advantages of Hyvä Themes, PWA Studio, and LUMA. Additionally, we will explore how Magento 2 business owners can utilize these options to their advantage. And if you are still looking for a provider of Magento services, you are in the right place.
Luma, PWA, Hyvä: short overview
eCommerce platforms often offer default themes that users can utilize without any customization. For Magento 2, the LUMA framework is the default theme. Surprisingly, around 90% of Magento 2 themes have been created using the LUMA framework since its release in 2016. However, unlike Magento 2, LUMA has not undergone any updates or changes since its launch, rendering it outdated technology in today’s ever-evolving digital world.
Moreover, the complex structure of LUMA means that developers need to spend more time creating new themes. If custom features need to be added to the store, developers need to spend even more time working with the LUMA stack, resulting in additional costs in the development process.
Another notable feature of Hyvä Themes is its shorter learning curve for developers. The absence of complex coding and structure makes it easier for new developers to get up to speed with projects quickly. By working with lightweight and easy-to-use frameworks, developers can create Magento 2 frontend much quicker, enabling users to benefit from all the perks of the native Magento 2 frontend without any downsides.
If you are still not convinced, here’s a fact that might interest you: Hyvä Themes scores up to 100 out of 100 across Google’s core web vitals for both desktop and mobile versions, making it even better than its counterparts.
When working with LUMA, you start from the bottom with your performance metrics and work your way to the top. Meanwhile, with Hyvä Themes, you begin right from the top. If you want to learn more about Hyva Theme, check out the article:
- Modern design: The Luma theme has a sleek and modern design that can help your website stand out and create a professional impression.
- Responsive: The Luma theme is designed to be responsive, meaning it can adapt to different screen sizes and devices, making your website accessible and user-friendly for all users.
- Customizable: The Luma theme is highly customizable, allowing you to make changes to the color scheme, fonts, and layout to fit your brand and preferences.
- Fast loading: The Luma theme is optimized for fast loading speeds, which can improve the user experience and increase conversions.
- Mobile-friendly: With mobile devices accounting for an increasing share of online traffic, the Luma theme’s responsive design ensures that your website looks great on mobile devices, providing a seamless shopping experience for your customers.
- Complex structure: Luma’s complex structure can make it challenging for developers to customize and create new themes. This can result in longer development times and higher costs.
- Outdated technology: Luma was released in 2016 and has not received any updates since then. This means that it may not be compatible with the latest technologies and features, which could limit the functionality of your website.
- Limited design options: Luma has a limited set of design options, which may not meet the unique branding and aesthetic needs of all businesses.
- Poor mobile optimization: Luma is not optimized for mobile devices, which is problematic since more than half of all internet traffic comes from mobile devices. This can result in a poor user experience for mobile users and hurt conversions.
PWA Studio Advantages
- Fast and responsive: PWA Studio is designed to create fast and responsive progressive web applications that offer a superior user experience. It uses modern web technologies such as Service Workers and Web App Manifests to optimize performance and improve page load times.
- Customizable: PWA Studio is highly customizable, allowing developers to create unique and branded user interfaces that meet the specific needs of their businesses.
- Modular architecture: PWA Studio has a modular architecture that allows developers to add new features and functionality to their applications without affecting other parts of the application. This makes it easier to maintain and scale applications over time.
- Improved SEO: PWA Studio offers better search engine optimization (SEO) than traditional web applications. Since PWAs are fast and responsive, they are more likely to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs) and attract more organic traffic.
- Offline functionality: PWA Studio allows applications to function even when there is no internet connection. This means that users can continue to access important features and content even when they are offline, improving user engagement and satisfaction.
- Cross-device compatibility: PWA Studio applications are compatible with multiple devices, including desktops, smartphones, and tablets, ensuring a consistent user experience across all platforms.
PWA Studio Disadvantages
- Complexity: PWA Studio can be complex for developers who are not familiar with modern frontend technologies like React and GraphQL.
- Learning Curve: Developers who are new to PWA Studio may require additional time to learn and become proficient with the framework.
- Cost: Implementing PWA Studio can be expensive, as it may require additional resources and expertise to build and maintain.
- Compatibility: PWA Studio may not be compatible with all browsers and devices, which could limit the reach of the PWA storefront.
- Customization: Customizing PWA Studio can be challenging, as it requires a deep understanding of the framework and its components.
Need a development team to apply theme to your online store?
Our team has the necessary experience & expertise to help you set up your online store.
Let’s review some of the aspects of Hyvä Themes that make it a perfect choice for Magento 2 online stores.
Performance & Speed
When it comes to storefront performance, LUMA’s architectural structure tends to slow it down, especially on mobile devices and weaker Internet connections. In contrast, Hyvä Themes provide fast page speed, regardless of the device or connection speed.
Fast page speed is crucial for two reasons. First, it contributes to search engine optimization since search engines prefer fast-performing sites for higher organic visibility. Second, it affects user retention as 40% of users tend to leave sites that take more than 3 seconds to load. A slow page speed can result in higher bounce rates and fewer conversions.
Moreover, Hyvä Themes outperform Adobe’s new frontend framework, PWA Studio, in terms of speed. Even though the new framework is not yet completed, you can already achieve the same performance benefits with lesser development costs by using Hyvä Themes.
As mentioned previously, slow page speed can lead to lower conversion rates. A mere one-second delay results in a 7% drop in conversions. Although it may not appear to be a significant issue, losing 7% in conversion over the course of a year can result in a significant loss of revenue for your store. Fortunately, with Hyvä Themes, you can avoid this entirely.
Reduced costs and time for development
Hyvä Themes has a simple architecture that makes it easier for developers to work with. Modern web development tools are used when working with Hyvä Themes, and there is less time spent deciphering frontend code and dealing with various files. This also makes it simpler to work on new features and functionality.
The math is straightforward: the easier it is for developers to work with Hyvä Themes, the less time they spend coding, and the less money you need to spend on development. As a result, not only do you receive a faster solution, but you also pay less for it.
Hyvä Themes, despite being a new product, has already attracted a large community of developers. This offers several benefits for you as a user. With a vibrant open-source community, Hyvä Themes is constantly evolving, with a plethora of extensions developed by professionals that you can use to enhance your product. Additionally, the presence of a diverse range of developers with different backgrounds and skills means that you can always find the right developer to work on your store, regardless of its specific requirements.
If you’re interested in trying out Hyvä Themes but already have an existing Magento 2 site, the good news is that you can easily switch to the new theme without having to start from scratch. There’s no need to create backend or admin panel functionality again – all you have to do is replace the current theme with Hyvä Themes.
On the other hand, if you’re starting a new project on Magento 2 or migrating from Magento 1, using Hyvä Themes is just as straightforward. The only thing to keep in mind is that Hyvä Themes are not available on Magento 1 – they are exclusively designed for Magento 2.
Hyvä Themes bring a lot of benefits to Magento-based store owners. But just like any tool or solution, it isn’t a perfect solution for every business and has some downsides. Let’s review some of them.
Although Hyvä Themes doesn’t provide its own checkout feature, it offers a range of alternative options that can be used instead. One popular choice among developers is the LUMA checkout fallback extension, which is included in the package if you purchase a license. This extension allows you to use the default Magento 2 checkout feature. Alternatively, you can opt for a third-party checkout extension that meets your specific needs.
Moreover, the Hyvä Themes team is constantly working on expanding the framework’s functionality and introducing new checkout solutions that are compatible with it.
Magento versions compatibility
Hyvä Themes is only compatible with Magento 2.4 or later versions, which means that if you use an older version of Magento, you won’t be able to use this tool. However, upgrading to the latest Magento version is recommended anyway since many platforms and tools are only compatible with it.
No third-party extension support
However, with the help of a skilled team, this task can be completed quickly and efficiently, as you only need to modify the storefront output. The backend code and external integrations do not require any changes, and neither does the admin panel-related output.
To further simplify the process, the Hyvä Themes team has created the Hyvä Themes compatibility module library. When you purchase a license, you gain access to various compatibility extensions developed by members of the Hyvä Themes open-source community. For instance, the library includes Klaviyo and Klevu Magento 2 extensions, among others.
Many companies and developers tailor extensions to meet their specific needs and contribute them to the Hyvä Themes library. As a result, if you require a new extension, you can easily search the library and find one that meets your requirements.
Hyvä Themes is a partially open-source project with a thriving developer community. However, a license fee of €1,000 is required to use it. The license fee is a one-time payment, and you do not need to purchase additional licenses for multiple Magento 2 projects using Hyvä Themes. The license also covers all future updates and support for the platform, including access to code and online documentation.
By purchasing a Hyvä Themes license, you can significantly reduce the costs associated with developing and maintaining a Magento 2 frontend. This includes both initial costs and ongoing expenses. Overall, investing in a Hyvä Themes license can be a cost-effective way to transform your Magento 2 frontend.
Hyvä Themes endurance
Many Magento developers and their clients have expressed concerns about the long-term support of the Hyvä Themes framework, given that it is a relatively new technology. However, there is no need to worry, as the Hyvä Themes team is committed to the ongoing development and support of the platform.
Moreover, as an open-source project, the framework can be extended and improved by anyone in the developer community, ensuring its longevity and continued relevance in the market. The Hyvä Themes team actively encourages contributions from the community and is dedicated to maintaining the platform’s quality and functionality. So, users can rest assured that they can rely on Hyvä Themes for the long haul.
In conclusion, while the LUMA theme is the default choice for Magento 2 stores, PWA Studio and Hyvä Themes are gaining popularity among developers for their performance, flexibility, and user experience. PWA Studio provides a headless approach with a focus on speed and mobile-friendliness, while Hyvä Themes offers a modern frontend architecture with an intuitive page builder and a growing community of developers. Ultimately, the choice between these options depends on the specific needs of each project and the priorities of the team delivering Magento development services.